Are you searching for up-to-date content marketing statistics for 2023? You’re in the right place.
Over the past five years, the popularity and overall Google searches for “content marketing” have grown almost three fold.
Have a look;
So if you want to unleash the power of content marketing to grow your sales, check out this fantastic list of content marketing ROI statistics.
In this post, you’ll discover the following;
- Important content marketing data
- The key metrics to track
- How to properly optimize your content marketing efforts
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Content Marketing Statistics that Will Truly Blow Your Mind
1. Does creating content regularly help with more traffic?
Yes, Semrush reports that 55% of website owners saw a boost in their traffic by creating more content and posting more frequently.
36% of the respondents said paying more attention to keyword research helped them the most to boost their search rankings.
2. How much do people spend on content marketing?
According to a Semrush survey, 17% of people spend between $5,000 to $10,000 monthly, and 10% said they spend $10,000 to $20,000.
Here’s a detailed breakdown of how much people spend on content marketing EACH MONTH.
- 27% of people spend less than $1,000
- 19% spend $1,000-$3,000
- 20% spend $3,000-$5,000
- 6% spend over $20,000
3. How do people promote their content?
53% of people use email marketing for their content promotion. (Source: Semrush)
Here are some of the fascinating content promotion stats for 2023;
- 73% of people use social media (organic posting)
- 11% use guest posting to promote their content
- 51% invest in paid social media ads
- 28% of people use PR and media outreach
4. Do companies measure content performance?
75% of respondents said their organization measures content performance. Among those, 69% said website engagement provided the most insight into performance. (Source: Content Marketing Institute)
5. What do most marketers typically use for creating visual content?
Venngage reveals that 35.5% of marketers use image creation tools for creating visual content. 28% have access to an in-house designer, while 18.7% use advanced design software.
Content Marketing Stats for Marketers
If you’re a marketer who’s looking for exclusive content marketing stats, this section is for you.
1. What is the biggest challenge for content marketers?
Orbit Media reports that 52% of bloggers are struggling to find time to write and promote blog content.
The following challenges most bloggers face when it comes to content marketing;
- Getting traffic (46%)
- Creating quality content consistently (39%)
- Coming up with relevant topics (22%)
2. How many hours does it take to write a 1000-word article?
The average time spent writing a 1000+ word article is 3 hours and 46 minutes.
17.5% of people spend more than 6 hours finishing an article for their blog. (Source: Orbit Media)
Yes, it does take more time to create high-quality content. You can cut down that time using various tactics such as;
3. Which video formats perform best?
Short-form video performs the BEST. The short-form video includes YouTube shorts, Instagram reels, TikTok videos, etc.
Here are some of the popular video formats that work the best (according to Semrush);
- Short-form video: 43%
- About our company/product videos: 33%
- Success story videos about customers: 32%
- Product overviews: 29%
- How-to videos: 27%
- Interviews with industry experts: 25%
4. What kinds of content are most people publishing?
76% of people are publishing How-to articles and guides.
55% publish listicles, 34% of them publish interviews, and 22% of them are publishing roundup posts. (Source: Orbit Media)
5. What is the average cost of an article?
A basic and no-frill article costs $50 for 500 words.
A well-researched content costs $100 for 500 words, whereas high-quality content written by experts will cost $250 per 500 words. (Source: Media Shower)
B2B Content Marketing Stats
If you’re a B2B company, here’s a curated list of content marketing stats.
Note: B2B (Business-to-Business) marketing refers to marketing products or services to other businesses and organizations.
1. How many marketers use content marketing?
73% of B2B and 70% of B2C marketers use content marketing as part of their overall marketing strategy. (Source: Content Marketing Institute)
2. Do companies outsource their content marketing?
Content Marketing Institute (CMI) reports that 75% of respondents from large companies said they outsourced content marketing activities such as topic research, content creation, editing, promotion, etc.
CMI also reports that 50% of all marketers, 37% of small companies, and 54% of medium companies outsource their content.
3. What are the top challenges most people face in content marketing?
Semrush states that 45% of people struggle to attract quality leads with their content, 38% of people are struggling to create more content faster, 24% of people are finding it difficult to produce original and high-quality content, and 29% of people are struggling to improve their content rankings in search engines.
4. Is content marketing helpful for B2B marketers?
According to CMI, 42% of B2B marketers say they’re effective at content marketing.
Content marketing can generate thousands of dollars if you’re using it right. You need a solid content strategy to educate your customers about your products or services.
5. Are B2B companies spending on content marketing?
Yes. According to eMarketer, US B2B digital ad market spending is expected to reach $15 billion by the end of 2023.
eMarketer reports that US B2B digital ad spending grew during the pandemic from $6.5 billion in 2019 to $8.6 billion in 2020.
6. Do B2B buyers consume content before buying?
47% of buyers read at least three to five pieces of content before they contact a sales representative. 96% of B2B buyers seek more information from industry thought leaders before buying.
B2C Content Marketing Statistics
Here are some of the fantastic B2C content marketing stats for 2023. Businesses target personal consumers.
Note: B2C (Business to Consumers) companies MOSTLY operate on the Internet and sell products to customers online. Traditional B2C examples include major online businesses like Netflix or Spotify.
1. Do B2C companies measure their traffic?
Semrush reports that 51% of B2C companies reported measuring their organic traffic. 19% reported calculating revenue from non-paid channels, such as word-of-mouth marketing.
2. Do B2C companies measure where their leads are coming from?
64% of B2C companies calculate the revenue that their content marketing generates, according to a Semrush survey.
3. Where do most B2C companies invest in content marketing?
57% of B2C companies invest in social media, 45% in improving content quality, 36% in customer research, 35% in creating video content, 28% in search engine optimization, and 7% in AI content marketing tools such as Jasper, ChatGPT, etc.
Here’s a detailed illustration of the main areas of content marketing investment for most B2C companies. (Source: Semrush)
4. How many B2C organizations outsource content marketing activities?
50% of B2C respondents said their organization outsources at least one content marketing activity. (CMI)
5. What are most B2C companies’ top challenges while outsourcing content?
48% of B2C companies have budget issues. 47% struggle to find expert content creators, and 31% struggle to find partners who can provide strategic advice. (Content Marketing Institute)
6. What types of content do most B2C companies use?
Short articles/posts (83%) and videos (61%) are the top two content types that B2C marketers use.
7. What B2C video formats produced the best results?
How-to videos (38%), Interviews with industry experts (37%), and webinars (31%) are the top three video formats that produced the best results for most B2C companies.
As you can see above, interactive videos (13%), in-depth product reviews (12%) and industry research reports (7%) also generate the best results for most B2C companies.
8. What content areas will be most important to B2C companies?
Changes to search algorithms (64%), changes to social media algorithms (53%), and data management/analytics (48%) are top considerations for B2C marketers.
Content Marketing ROI Statistics
Here’s a handpicked list of content marketing ROI stats for you.
1. Does creating a short form of content help?
According to the Semrush survey, short content (between 300 to 900 words) attracts 21% less traffic and 75% fewer backlinks than articles of average length (900–1200 words).
So if you’re planning to increase traffic and attract backlinks, create detailed and informative content.
2. Do marketers invest time in SEO?
HubSpot states that 69% of marketers actively invest time in SEO.
If you REALLY want to succeed in content marketing, you must learn and master search engine optimization (SEO). SEO sends you highly qualified visitors, targeted leads, better conversions, and more.
3. Do images in blog posts help with backlinks?
Yes. Semrush reports that 55% more backlinks were generated by blog posts with 7+ images compared to those without.
Tip: Either hire someone to create original graphics and illustrations for your website or use tools like Photoshop (or Canva) to create appealing images. Images in blog posts work in terms of better user engagement, backlinks and traffic.
4. Does interactive content help with better conversions?
Yes. According to MediaFly, interactive content gets 53% more engagement than static content, with buyers spending an average of 8.5 minutes consuming static content and 13 minutes on interactive content.
Some of the examples of interactive content include;
- Interactive Infographics
- Image Sliders
- Interactive Maps
5. What’s the effect of the pandemic on content marketing?
The pandemic increased content usage by 207%. The businesses that used interactive content saw a HUGE 94% increase in content views. (Source: MeidaFly)
6. What factors lead to success in content marketing?
According to the Semrush survey, the top 3 factors for content marketing success include;
- Researching audience (47%)
- SEO (46%)
- Publishing more content and increasing posting frequency (45%)
7. Which content formats perform best?
Semrush data reveals that “videos” work the BEST for 45% of respondents.
It is followed by;
- Short-form articles (31%)
- Success stories (28%)
- Long-form blog posts (24%)
- Case studies (19%)
- Webinars and online events (18%)
So if you plan to create content that attracts more audience, you should try creating videos for YouTube. Not only does it have billions of users but it often sends targeted traffic if you’ve high-quality videos.
8. What are the top 3 types of content?
HubSpot reported that the top three types of content created by marketing teams in the last year included videos, blogs, and images.
9. Does adding new keywords to existing content help?
Yes. 45% of the Semrush survey participants mentioned that researching and adding related keywords in addition to the primary keywords help with better rankings.
10. What is a good ROI for content marketing?
Most content marketers strive for an average ROI of 5:1. It means $5 of profit gained for every $1 spent on a content marketing campaign.
Content Marketing Facts
Here are some of the interesting facts about content marketing that you should know in 2023.
1. What is the most powerful content marketing tactic?
Email marketing is a powerful content marketing tactic, with an average ROI of $36 for every $1 spent, according to Litmus Report.
2. What percentage of marketers create one piece of content each day?
60% of marketers create at least one piece of content per day.
It can be any content, including blog posts, videos, podcasts, webinars, infographics, newsletters, etc.
3. What is the content marketing market size?
The content marketing market is expected to grow by $584 billion from 2023 to 2027, with a massive CAGR of 16% during the forecast period. (Source: Research and Markets)
4. What is the content marketing industry revenue worldwide?
In 2022, global content marketing industry revenue was estimated at 63 billion dollars. It is projected to reach 72 billion in 2023 and 107.5 billion dollars by 2026. (Source: Statista)
As you can see above, the revenue from content marketing worldwide was just 36.9 billion dollars in 2018. Within four years, the revenue has almost doubled.
5. Does content marketing work?
73% of companies that spend 10% to 70% of their total marketing budget on content marketing are very successful.
6. Does creating helpful illustrations help?
Yes. According to Venngage, 41% of marketers said original graphics such as infographics and illustrations helped them reach their marketing goals.
Here are some frequently asked questions about content marketing facts, stats, and its trends.
Content marketing is a strategy that involves creating and promoting content, such as blog posts, videos, podcasts, social media posts, etc., to promote a product, brand, or service.
Here are some of the fantastic stats on content marketing;
– 91% of businesses use video as a marketing tool
– 72% of marketers say content marketing increases engagement
– 60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day
B2B marketers with blogs gain 67% more leads. Also, content marketing costs 65% less than traditional marketing, such as print ads, TV ads, etc. but drives 3 times as many leads.
Content marketing has a BRIGHT future. According to Adobe, nearly 95% of consumers are more loyal to transparent and genuine brands. You can build trust and awareness by creating informative content.
A good intermediate rate is $125 to 200 per article. For experts, it costs $250+ per article. The article’s cost depends on the writer, the research he puts into it, his skills, and more.
Some of the top benefits of content marketing include the following;
– Boost your search traffic
– Increase your sales
– Help with brand awareness
– Increase your social media followers
Content marketing is one of the most affordable ways to increase engagement, website traffic, and sales.
The audience is everywhere, from social media to YouTube to blogs and websites. You need a content strategy to reach out to them effectively. Using a proper content marketing strategy, we built a profitable blog generating $15K monthly.
The above stats on content marketing can help you craft a solid strategy to boost your sales. Have any questions? Let us know in the comments.