Who else wants to know how to start a fashion blog and make money from fashion blogging? If you are looking for ways to launch your successful fashion blog from scratch, this tutorial is exclusively for you.
I’m not only going to show you how to launch a fashion blog, but I’ll share a few incredible ideas with you on how to make fashion blogging profitable. Are you ready? Let’s get into the details.
Why should you start a fashion blog?
There are so many great reasons to start a fashion blog.
Suppose you are already working in the fashion domain and passionate about the latest fashion trends, design, and style. In that case, starting a blog is a great way where you share your personal style, trends from established designers and promote yourself to create a brand online.
Blogging is one of the most effective ways to make income. If you are good at promoting or creating related fashion products, you can make a lot of passive income from your blogs.
Above all, starting fashion blogging helps you connect with awesome people in the fashion industry as well as hone your marketing skills.
Table of Contents
How to start a fashion blog that makes money: Step by step
1. Getting a domain name
Launching your fashion blog begins with securing a domain name. To build a professional website, you must pick a memorable domain name that ends with a .com extension.
You can use domain name suggestion tools such as Domainr, GoDaddy, etc., to quickly find out whether a domain name is available or not.
The great thing about launching a fashion blog while naming it is, that you can even use your name as your blog domain name. It helps you increase your online branding and promote yourself even better.
2. Choosing the best hosting to host your fashion blog
I can’t stress enough about the importance of having a reliable web hosting service. Most beginners use cheap or free hosting services to launch their blogs on WordPress. But I strongly recommend you get a reliable, faster, and safer web host for your blog if you are serious about making income from it.
If you are searching for a reliable host at an affordable price, I highly recommend you to try Bluehost. I’ve been using their service for the last five years and never encountered any hosting-related issues with them.
Millions of domain owners trust BlueHost and give you a free domain name registration for one year, meaning you just have to pay for their hosting.
Bluehost features include the following:
- Anytime Money Back Guarantee. So no risk involved from your end
- Free One Click WordPress Installer
- Unlimited Disk Space and bandwidth
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- You can host up to 100 WordPress blogs from the same Hosting account
- Award-Winning Support Staff who understand customer needs very well
- $100 Free Google Adwords Credit
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
Here’s a simple tutorial on how you can use Bluehost to install WordPress within 5 minutes.
Step 1: Use this special link to install a WordPress blog on Bluehost hosting to start your blog.
Once you click on the above link, you will be taken to Bluehost hosting home page, where you need to click on the “Get Started Now” button to continue. The hosting will be just $2.95 per month instead of $3.95 per month.
Here’s what it looks like;
Step 2: Enter the domain name
Bluehost offers a free domain for one year, so enter any domain name you want. If you’ve already registered a domain elsewhere, you can also enter that.
Step 3: Enter your account information and click “next.”
Select any package. Please pick your account plan, but if you’re on a small budget, choose their Basic plan as it only costs you $35.40 for 12 months.
Make sure to finish the remaining steps, like choosing a password and making the payment. Once you log into the Bluehost control panel, install WordPress.
P.S: If you want to read a detailed, unbiased review of Bluehost before choosing it, please click this link. Also, if you want to compare the top 3 hosting services, please read the following detailed article.
Must have plugins and tools for starting a blog
SEMrush: If you want to spy on your competitor’s best-performing keywords and estimate their website traffic, SEMrush is for you. This tool is recommended by top SEO experts and bloggers. This can also be used to find the top keywords related to the fashion industry to increase the traffic to your blogs from search engines.
Rank Math SEO: This is one of the highly used freemium WordPress plugins. If you want to optimize your blog posts for search engines, install this plugin as soon as your blog goes live. Even if you are a beginner in SEO, you will find it easy to optimize your web pages for search engines.
WP Rocket: You need fast-loading web pages to create a successful blog from scratch. You should not irritate readers and search engine crawlers with your site loading time. Here’s where a cache plugin helps. WP Rocket is a widely used premium plugin for WordPress sites. We are using the same plugin on BloggersPassion.
Here are a few more essential plugins for fashion blogs.
- Events Calendar
- iMax Width
- Article Templates
- Shortcut Macros
- WP Polls
3. Other essential things to do after launching a fashion blog
Once you have installed WordPress on your fashion blogs, here are a few must-have things to do after starting it.
Getting a professional look for your fashion blog
Whether you agree to it or not, blog design is the king. Web design is what makes or breaks a blog’s success. You will suffer later if you don’t focus on getting a clean, simple, and professional-looking blog design.
Make sure to get a search engine-friendly design; I highly recommend Elegant themes or GeneratePress as they are not only used and recommended by thousands of bloggers, but they are also perfectly optimized for search engines. They are also mobile responsive, so you don’t have to install additional plugins or tools to make your site mobile-friendly.
Suggested Reading: Elegant Themes Review: How to Make Your WordPress Site Look Stunning
Here’s the overview of Elegant themes.
And get a great-looking logo for your site that leaves an immediate impact on your blog audience. Try to include your blog’s tagline that matches your overall blog’s appeal and vision.
Setting up social media profiles
Immediately after setting up your fashion blog, you should set up social media links on all the major sites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and, more importantly, Pinterest.
Try to get the same profile name similar to your blog’s domain name. That way, you will get more visibility and links from the search engines to your domain.
And always make sure to publish your latest posts to these social media profiles immediately after publishing them on your sites.
Discovering the best places to create top-notch content
Don’t just create blog posts that don’t add value to your audience. First, define who you are targeting. And then find the most popular topics in the fashion industry to create top-notch content.
If you create content that gets more likes, shares, and links, you will get a lot of traffic from search engines, and you should be able to monetize your blogging efforts quickly.
You can find better topic ideas for your fashion blogs by browsing sites like Buzzsumo, Topsy, etc. Enter any keywords you want to target and find all the top posts that get more likes and shares.
Create even better content around it to attract more attention from your industry. It is known as ‘Skyscraper Technique,’ which is explained in detail here.
4. Creating a list of top fashion blogs to outreach
You need to network with other bloggers to promote your blog-related products well. You will rarely succeed without promoting and getting to know other bloggers in your fashion industry.
So make sure to create a list of all the influential bloggers in your industry and follow them on social media sites to frequently get in touch with them.
If possible, attend their live seminars or webinars to get in touch with them personally. Then slowly and steadily hone your relationships with them, and frequently contact them through emails.
And frequently link out to their posts from your blogs and let them know about it through emails when you post something beneficial for your blog audience, email outreach to all the bloggers who are on your contact list and ask them for a tweet or link.
They will link or share if they really like your stuff. So blogger outreach is the key to get more exposure for your blog posts. Don’t miss out on this thing if you want to build a fashion blog successfully from scratch.
5. Generating revenue from your fashion blogs
The final part about creating a successful blog from scratch is to make money from it finally. Remember, making money from a blog is not hard if you are consistently working hard towards creating excellent content and promoting the right products to your audience.
I strongly suggest you find and create a list of all the products you want to promote through your blog before you even launch it. That will give you a clear idea about what to write and how to promote the right products relating to the fashion industry to increase your website sales.
Here are a few tips to make money from fashion blogging:
- Once you set up your blog and start getting readers, you can launch a podcast or video series to acquire more buyers who are interested in buying products from you.
- You can try selling eBooks related to fashion blogging or become a fashion industry consultant to make money from your blogging efforts.
- You can find and use the best performing affiliate programs to make passive income from your blogs. First, list all the affiliate products your competitors are promoting, then choose the best products to promote from your blog.
Suggested Reading: How Much Money Do Top Bloggers Make
Top 5 Ways to Make Money from Fashion Blogging in 2023
Are you finding it interesting? Let’s find out some ways to make money. Most fashion bloggers use the following five strategies to make money from their fashion blogs, and almost each one of them is worth giving a try in 2023.
1. Selling affiliate products
Affiliate marketing is one of the best ways to earn passive income from blogging.
Affiliate marketing is a performance-based monetization strategy, which means you only get paid when your promotional efforts result in a sale. To put it simply, whenever someone buys an affiliate product using your affiliate referral link, you earn a commission.
The good news is that affiliate marketing is growing rapidly. Here are a few stats about affiliate marketing.
As you can see from the above chart, affiliate marketing has a HUGE potential, which can help you earn a ton of money online no matter what niche you are in.
We’ve created an in-depth guide on how to set up an affiliate site that makes money, but if you’re looking for some quick affiliate marketing tips you can use to make more dollars from fashion blogging, here are a few tips for you.
- Define your target audience. Find out their gender, geographical location, age, and all the other details like yearly income, expenses, etc. The more you know about your target audience, the easier it becomes for you to find and promote the right affiliate programs to them.
- Make sure to use the right tools, such as Thirsty Affiliates, a popular affiliate marketing plugin to cloak your affiliate links. It helps you easily optimize your affiliate links and track all the clicks you get for each link you create. Another great tool is ‘WP Review Pro’ plugin, which helps you get rich snippets along with star ratings and works as the schema for your affiliate products.
- Last but not least, be genuine. Try to promote only those products which help your audience. Don’t promote products just because they pay you more commissions. Make sure to find those products that give you a monthly recurring commission.
2. Collaborations, sponsorships, paid reviews
Fashion bloggers mainly collaborate with other brands to make money. It can also be paid sponsorships, promoting other fashion brands, or lifestyle products where they promote brands in exchange for money. Brands get loyal customers and better visibility online, whereas fashion bloggers make money. So it’s a win/win approach.
3. Selling own products
You can sell your products if you’re generating many visitors to your site and have a massive email list or followers on social media. Branding is the key here. Your products should be relevant to your target audience, and set the right price if you want to turn your website visitors into customers.
4. Using display advertising networks
This is one of the common ways to make money from fashion blogging as you can use a ton of display ads such as;
- Or even banner ads
The key to making more money from display ad networks is attracting massive search engine traffic so you can generate decent income every month. But it will hurt your readership in the long run, so consider better alternatives if you’re running a fashion blog.
5. Consulting, private mentorships, 1:1 coaching, etc
Another common monetization strategy most fashion bloggers use to make money from their blogs is offering consulting services.
It can be done in a variety of ways, including;
- One-on-one coaching sessions
- Private mentorships and so on
If you’re going for consulting services, build and improve your personal brand as a fashion blogger. Make sure to conduct seminars and webinars to improve your personal branding to attract high-paying customers in the long run.
5 Mistakes to Avoid Before Starting A Fashion Blog
Starting a blog is easy, but making it profitable is not. When you’re just starting, you tend to make a ton of mistakes, which might cost you a lot in the long run.
Make sure to avoid the following most common yet costliest mistakes while launching your fashion blog in 2023 and beyond.
1. Not focusing on SEO
If you’re running a fashion blog, make sure to focus on SEO. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is what determines your overall search rankings and traffic. Ignoring SEO altogether can harmful in the long run as it’s one of the most converting channels to generate more traffic, leads, and sales.
Here are a few quick tips which can help you improve your fashion blog’s SEO in 2023:
- Find keywords that have low search volume: If you want to increase your traffic from search engines like Google, you need first to perform keyword research so you can use relevant keywords in every blog post you publish. Here’s a comprehensive guide on keyword research that can help you find low competition yet high converting keywords.
- Learn proper on page optimization: On page SEO refers to all the things that you do at your website level to increase the visibility of your site in search engines. It includes inserting your primary keywords in titles, meta description, image alt tags, subheadings, URL, etc.
- Build backlinks: SEO mostly involves in building quality backlinks. You simply can’t get first page rankings without getting links to your pages, so make sure to find ways to build links. You can use tactics like guest posting, blogger outreach, broken link building, etc to start building links. You can go through these off page techniques to generate more organic visibility to your fashion websites.
- Use proper SEO tools: It takes money to make money online. If you want to get better results quickly, we highly recommend you invest money in getting the right SEO tools such as SEMrush, Rank Math, etc. These tools will make it easier for you to find keywords, perform competitive analysis, do proper ‘on-page optimization,’ and so on.
2. Not having a monetization strategy
One of the biggest mistakes any blogger can make, including fashion bloggers, is that they blog without having a monetization strategy. If you want to make money from blogging, you need a plan which you can use in the long run. Otherwise, you can’t survive.
That being said, find out ways to create a blog sales funnel.
- Build an email list and grow your presence on social media. Create a Facebook group and engage with others so you can improve your online presence.
- Make sure to focus on offering high-value stuff to your audience upfront so you can offer small priced products later.
- Once you start making sales, you can offer high-end products (or your products), which help you make even more sales.
Here’s how a sales funnel looks like;
Above all, make sure to find out the RIGHT strategy (be it affiliate marketing or selling your courses) before you even start your fashion blog. Analyze your competitor websites to come up with ideas to monetize your site the right way.
3. Not creating an editorial calendar
Consistency is the key.
If you want to build an active audience around your fashion blog, make sure to post content regularly. The key is to realize how long it’ll take you to do a post and figure out your daily planning based on that so you can create a useful editorial calendar.
It’s a lot easier and better to post twice a week with high-quality content rather than posting every day with mediocre content. One high-quality post is a lot better than ten thin contents.
If you’re using WordPress, you can install Editorial calendar plugin, which gives you an overview of your blog and when each post will be published. You can drag and drop to move posts, edit posts right in the calendar, and manage your entire fashion blog.
4. Not networking with others
The fashion industry is full of bloggers, fashion enthusiasts, celebrities, and the list go on. The best way to create a profitable blog from scratch is to expand and build your Network. The key here is to spend more time promoting and networking with others than spending more time on your blog.
5. Not nichifying your blog
Don’t cover too many topics on your blog. You should never compete with authority sites no matter what industry you are. It’s always better to nichify your topics and start creating content around one particular topic at a time. That’s the fastest way to build and grow a loyal audience around your fashion blog.
Top Fashion Blogs to Follow in 2023
Did you know that the fashion industry is a billion-dollar industry?
According to the Consumer Market Outlook, the revenue generated by the global apparel market value will increase to almost 2 trillion U.S. dollars by 2027.
So yes, this is the RIGHT time to start a fashion blog, and if you’re looking for inspiration before you launch a fashion blog, this section is for you. Here are the top fashion blogs that are going to inspire you in 2023.
1. The Budget Fashionista: This blog was launched in 2003 by Kathryn Finney and took over by Catherine Brock in 2014, where you can find a ton of fashion and lifestyle-related stuff by spending less. It’s also featured in top publications like the TODAY Show, Good Morning America, CNN, CNBC, E!/Style Network, and so on.
2. Who What Wear: ‘Who What Wear’ is where you can get the latest fashion and celebrity trends, and it’s also one of the top UK fashion blogs. Katherine Power and Hillary Kerr founded ‘Who What Wear’ in 2006, and you can find a ton of styles and trends around the latest Fashion.
Browse More Resources About Starting a Blog:
Best traffic source can be SEO as it sends you long-lasting and highly qualified visitors to your site. Here are a few more ways you can use to generate visitors to your fashion blogs in 2023.
→ Use appealing and unique images so you can submit them on image sharing sites such as Pinterest, Instagram, and so on, and image sharing sites can help you with SEO, gaining more exposure, build your brand, get more traffic, etc.
→ Promote on social media as fashion blog posts mostly go viral on sites like Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, etc. If possible, create a YouTube channel where you can increase your brand and promote your Fashion related content.
→ Build an email list from day one as it can give you long-lasting results, and the email list also produces the highest ROI where it gives you $40 returns for every $1 you spend.
There are a ton of ways to make money from fashion blogging, but the following are widely used by most fashion bloggers to generate income from their blogs.
→ Writing product reviews of fashion products
→ Collaborations with brands
→ Selling fashion-related affiliate products
→ Selling their courses or products such as eBooks, videos, etc
→ Using AdSense kind of display ads
→ Offering services and the list goes on
We’ve compiled a massive list of best Indian fashion blogs to follow where you can find a ton of fashion enthusiasts and celebrity fashion bloggers from India. Here are a few more fashion blogs that are famous worldwide.
→ The Blonde Salad
→ Man Repeller
→ Gabi Fresh
→ Tuula Vintage
→ and the list goes on
Here are five simple steps to start a fashion blog.
→ Choose the best blogging platform (prefer WordPress)
→ Select your domain name and get a hosting provider (hosting sites like Bluehost offers affordable hosting along with a free domain)
→ Install WordPress on hosting
→ Once installed, your blog is ready where you can find the perfect theme to make it appealing
→ Start creating great content to attract more traffic and money!
Here are the top 3 ways to promote your fashion blog.
→ Be active on social media.
→ Start writing guest posts.
→ Start leaving thoughtful comments on other fashion blogs.
What Others are Reading:
Anyone can start a fashion blog; the real success lies in making it profitable. You cannot launch a successful fashion blog without targeting the right audience.
Get to know who you are targeting and get a professional domain name, hosting, and design for your blog.
The first impression is the last impression online. So make sure you impress your blog audience with great content and design. Also, network with other bloggers in the fashion industry to promote your blog well.
Make sure to find out all the monetization methods to make money from your blogging efforts. Making money from fashion blogs is not hard if you know how to promote the right products to your blog readers.
Let me know if you have any questions related to fashion blogging. I’d be glad to answer your queries.